Back to News
BE SELF-CARE AWARE
Posted on 10 Feb 2020
NHS England has launched a scheme which could save the NHS £136 million a year and encourage more people to self care.
A list of 33 minor health concerns has been identified by a national joint clinical working group which are either self-limiting or suitable for self-care. Vitamins/minerals and probiotics have also been included as items of low clinical effectiveness which are of high cost to the NHS.
- Acne treatment
- Analgesic/pain relief treatment (short term pain, fever, headache, muscle/joint injury, infrequent migraine)
- Anti-fungal treatment (athlete’s foot, oral and vaginal thrush, ring worm, dandruff)
- Antiperspirant treatment (excessive sweating)
- Antiseptic creams and treatment for minor burns and scalds
- Camouflage creams
- Cold sore treatment
- Colic treatment
- Constipation treatment
- Cough, cold and sore throat treatment
- Cradle cap treatment
- Diarrhoea treatment
- Ear wax remover
- Emollients and bath oils for mild dry skin
- Eye treatments/lubricating products (Conjunctivitis/ dry eyes)
- Fluoride containing products for prevention of dental caries
- Haemorrhoid (piles) treatment
- Hayfever treatment
- Head lice treatment
- Herbal and complementary treatments
- Homeopathic preparations
- Indigestion and heartburn (dyspepsia) treatment
- Mild cystitis treatment
- Mouth ulcer treatment and treatment for teething
- Nappy rash treatment
- Scabies treatment
- Sunburn treatment
- Threadworm treatment
- Topical steroid treatment (insect bites/stings, contact dermatitis, nappy rash)
- Travel sickness treatment
- Vitamins and minerals
- Wart and verruca treatment
Why is it changing?
These common conditions can be treated at home with items that can be bought from pharmacies, supermarkets and other stores.
As you will not need an appointment at your GP surgery to obtain a prescription this will save you time. It will also free up appointments for patients with more serious conditions.
If your condition needs the further attention your pharmacist will recognise this and recommend you made an appointment.
BE SELF-CARE AWARE